About Texas A&MLocated 90 miles northwest of Houston in College Station, Texas A&M's main campus is currently home to more than 64,000 students. The historic university was the state's first public institution of higher learning. Today, the research-intensive university prepares the future leaders of Texas for the challenges of tomorrow.
The History Of Texas A&M
The long history of Texas' first public institution of higher education, Texas A&M, can be traced back to the Morrill Act of Morrill Act. The act provided public land for the higher education. The humble beginning of the nation's fifth largest university began with this simple grant when in 1871 Brazos County decreed 2,416 acres of land for the university. Following the donation, construction began and in 1876 the young institution opened its doors to students. Today, Texas A&M is home to more than 64,000 students in an expanse of more than 5,200 acres on its College Station campus.
Today, Texas A&M is one of the nation's premier research universities. The university boasts first-rate research facilities, world-class faculty, countless educational opportunities, 19 colleges and schools, more than 130 undergraduate degrees, and 268 graduate / professional degrees. As one of the largest, most diversified, and comprehensive research universities in the country, Texas A&, is one of only three Tier-1 schools in Texas.
Historically, Texas A&M produces more officers than any other non-academy institution. It is one of only six senior military colleges and boasts the largest uniformed body outside of the academies for national service. Because of the university's outstanding military achievements it has produced at least seven alumni who have earned the prestigious Medal of Honor.
In addition to producing more officers than any other college, Texas A&M has produced a long list of successful alumni including former President George H.W. Bush, Texas Governor Rick Perry, Miss USA 2001 Kandace Krueger, former San Antonio mayor Henry Cisneros, Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel, Gary Kubiak the former Houston Texans head coach, and many more.
In addition to all of the fantastic cultural activities offered within the university, students at Texas A&M have access to the Student Recreation Center. With more than 400,000 square feet of recreation space, there is something for everyone!
Recreation Center Amenities
- A 14,000 square ft weight and fitness room
- More than 165 pieces of strength training equipment
- More than 60 exercise machines
- A 1/4 mile Walking/running track
- Fourteen handball/racquetball/squash courts
- Four dance and activity rooms for Group exercise and specialty fitness programs
- Gymn space for basketball,volleyball, or badminton courts.
- Soccer Courts
- A 44' high Indoor Climbing Facility
- A natatorium with competitive swimming pool, competitive diving pool, shallow water, instructional pool, and two spas
- Outdoor volleyball courts, basketball courts, a resort-style outdoor pool and spa, Outdoor pavilion with picnic tables and grills.
- Special Events and archery room
- A garden room